19 Jul Refreshing Salad
In the heat it’s often nicer to have a lighter dish rather than something too heavy which is great because so many salad ingredients are now in season! Some perfect additions to your summer salad which are in season are; beetroot, carrot, broad bean, cucumber, fennel, fresh peas, green beans, lettuce and salad leaves, new potatoes, radishes, rocket, runner beans, salad onions, sorrel, tomatoes and watercress! The salad combinations are limitless with this list of in season produce but if you’re struggling with ideas why not start with our recipe below.
What you’ll need;
- 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of sugar
- 500g mixed tomatoes
- 3 fennel bulbs
- 100g pomegranate seeds
- 1⁄2 small pack tarragon leaves
- 1⁄2 small pack parsley leaves
- 1⁄2 small pack mint leaves
What you’ll need to do;
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6, line a baking tray with baking parchment. Slice 1 lemon into thin rounds and place on the baking tray, drizzle with 1/2 tbsp of olive oil and sprinkle with sugar. Roast for 20-25 mins they will be ready when shrivelled and caramelised in places, some may need to be taken out before others so keep checking on them. Once done leave to cool to room temperature.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes, thinly slice the fennel, saving the fronds. Add to a bowl with 1 ½ tbsp. of olive oil, the juice from the other lemon and pomegranate seeds. Season to taste, then give a good mix.
- To serve, roughly chop tarragon, parsley and mint then mix them into the salad with the roasted lemons and fennel fronds.
We hope this has helped you with ideas for your summer salads but if you’d like to learn more why not organise a salad cooking lesson with us!
To arrange your lesson call us on 0208 226 37 59 or email email@example.com