24 Jan Lovely Leeks
Now that all the fun of the festive fun is over we wouldn’t be surprised if you have January blues but don’t worry! We will be sharing with you our top picks for seasonal produce over the first weeks of the New Year which should have all the goodness you need to give you a lift!
This week we’re shining the light on lovely leeks! These are a great addition to soups which is the perfect comforting, warming dish at this time of the year and they’re also packed with vitamin C so will help with any New Year colds or flu you’re dealing with.
So whilst we’re hearing talking about leeks and how great they are in soup why not suggest a leek soup dish for you to try!
What you’ll need;
1 small onion
850ml-1.2litres/1½-2pts light chicken or vegetable stock
142ml carton whipping cream
125ml full-fat milk
finely chopped chives
What you’ll need to do;
- Melt 50g butter in a heavy saucepan. Peel and cut the potatoes into 1cm cubes and add to the butter once it foams. Cut the onions the same size as the potatoes and add those too. Also add the white part of the leeks sliced and the green tops can be save for another soup or recipe. Toss everything in the butter until it’s well coated.
- Season with salt and pepper and continue to toss. Put a disc of greaseproof paper over the pan and then pop the lid on, this will keep the steam in. Keep on a gentle heat for 10 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Once the vegetables are ready take the lid off the pan, discard the paper and add the stock then bring to the boil, simmer for 5 minutes.
- If you like a chunky soup you can treat it as ready now however if you prefer a smooth creamier soup it can be puréed in a blender then returned to the hob and add three quarters of the whipping cream and milk.
- Serve the soup and drizzle with cream and sprinkle with chives.
If you’ve been inspired to make dishes with leeks but need a little more help you can arrange a cooking lesson with one of our chefs. Call us today on 0208 226 37 59 or email firstname.lastname@example.org