23 Apr How To Perfect A Veggie BBQ
Planning your BBQ can be challenging especially if you’re having to cater for multiple dietary requirements such as vegetarian and vegan, but that’s why we’re sharing our vegan BBQ recipe that can be enjoyed by all!
Another challenge of organising a BBQ is the weather! While you can prepare and make sure you have dishes for all your guests there’s not much you can do to control the weather on the day of your BBQ. That is the great thing about our veggie BBQ dish, it can be prepared inside or outside and here’s how.
The greatness doesn’t stop there! This dish is packed with goodness including plenty of veg such as aubergine, red pepper, onion, courgette, tomatoes and olives. In fact there’s so much veg packed into this dish that a portion of it makes up the 5 portions of fruit and veg you should have each day! So not only will you be in the good books with your vegetarian and vegan guests but also with and health conscious ones too! Plus you won’t have to feel guilty if you have a bit more of an indulgent dessert!
So without further or do let’s talk you through how to make this healthy veggie friendly BBQ dish of Aubergine Puree with Griddled/Barbecued Veg.
This recipe makes 2 portions
What You’ll Need:
1 large aubergine
½ a lemon
3 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoon thyme leaves
1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
1 red pepper
1 large onion
2 large tomatoes
8 Kalamata olives
What You’ll Need To Do:
- Take the whole aubergine and if using a BBQ place it on the grill and continuously turn it until it softens and you see the skin is blistered. If using a gas hob then hold the aubergine directly over the flame until you get the same results as described. Let the aubergine cool and then peel off its skin and finely chop its flesh.
- Juice the lemon, keep the skin, and mix this along with one of the cloves of garlic, chopped, 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley and 1 teaspoon of olive oil with the flesh of the aubergine.
- Zest the lemon skin and mix it with 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley and one chopped clove of garlic.
- Crush the last clove of garlic and mix with 2 tablespoons of thyme and 1 tablespoon of rapeseed oil.
- Get your pepper, deseed and cut into 4. Thickly slice the onion. Slice the courgettes into disks, on an angle. Cut each of the tomatoes into 3. Mix the chopped veg with the garlic, thyme and rapeseed oil mix.
- Get ready to char your vegetables either on the BBQ or on a griddle pan. When you see marks on the veg from the BBQ grill or the griddle pan and they have become tender you know they’re ready.
- It’s now time to bring everything together! Add the aubergine mix to plates and top with the veg. Halve the olives and use these to garnish the dish along with a drizzle of olive oil and the lemon zest, parsley and garlic mix.
So it’s a pretty simple dish to make which should please a lot of your guests at your next BBQ party!
Did you know that along with Dinner Parties and Cooking Lessons we also organise BBQs on behalf of our clients? We arrange everything from consulting with the client to create their perfect menu to providing chef and waiting staff and all the best ingredients. We get all the relevant information from our clients to pass onto the chef so that on the day they’re fully briefed and our client can relax!
If organising a BBQ with us sounds like something you’d like to do you can find out more about our BBQ Parties and have a read of our tropical BBQ menu to get your taste buds watering! Alternatively, why not book a BBQ Cooking Lesson with us? We can teach you how to create more veggie or meat dishes on your BBQ this summer.
If you would like to learn more vegetarian dishes in particular then read all about the vegetarian cooking lessons we offer by clicking here. If you’re interested in booking a party or lesson with us then why not contact us today? You can get in touch here.